Sunday 2 March 2014

Catching up at last



Thank goodness that's February done and dusted. It must be the most miserable, if shortest, month.
Hopefully now that half term holidays and chickenpox are behind us I can get back to my hobbies at last.

I have a couple of knitting finishes to show and a few blocks of my Medallion quilt so without further ado……Meet Peppa Pig!


Peppa was finished the evening before Isobel's first birthday. I bought her a scooter for later on in the summer so I wanted to give her something else to open on the day.
Peppa cost nothing but a bit of time and effort but she turned out to be a favourite present.

The birthday girl looking a bit bemused.


and the final ta dah is Isobel's Playful Stripes cardigan which she wore for her birthday lunch. Looking quite solemn in this photo.


Since I've returned from Birmingham I have started a waistcoat for my Mum with wool I bought at a show. The yarn is Sirdar Softspun and I'm not sure if I like it at all. I love yarns at the more expensive end of the spectrum and usually choose 100% wool. They tend to be softer and cuddly. This is a mix of 51% nylon, 25% wool and 24% acrylic. The colour is lovely- a silvery grey. It's a DK but knits up less chunky. I'll have to see how it goes.

I'm linking up with Wool on Sundays with these.


Yesterday I had to catch up my Medallion quilt blocks. I had neglected my homework from class last week because of my childcare duties and we were given the pattern for our corner blocks and the central medallion on Thursday. I had a wonderful quiet day cutting and sewing in the conservatory. I am lucky to have a Victorian boardroom table in there and it's a great height for cutting.

Each block set by our lovely teacher Sue has a new technique to master. The corner blocks featured lots of HST practice.


These were the fabric choices for the central medallion. The paler plain fabric in the middle is an Oakshott cotton from the Italy range called Perugia. I love the slight sheen of this fabric and it makes my star look slightly twinkly!




The main background to the quilt blocks is a plain grey but the central medallion and corner blocks have the Lynette Anderson pale grey print. I laid the blocks I have completed so far out on the table in the conservatory to see how it was coming together. There will be two blocks between each corner block. I have decided to re-do the Lily block with a grey background to balance the quilt. There is quite a bit more to do on the central medallion. I have shown Sue's quilt with the middle detail below my layout.
Please excuse the photo. I should have removed the table cover first.


Sue's quilt
Right, I'm off to do some more FPP for Lexies Hummingbird quilt. Sunday lunch is in the oven. It's Jamie Oliver's 6 hour roast pork and smells delicious in the kitchen. The photo is Jamies, not mine!
 Only another 3 hours to go so I should get a few blocks done.

Enjoy your Sunday.

Catherine


15 comments:

  1. Your medallion quilt blocks are looking wonderful, even on top of the tablecloth:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. It was only after I had put them all on the table that I found the lily block had a different background. Don't know what I was thinking of.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad February is done with too! Also glad to hear your grandchildren are over the chicken pox. Peppa Pig looks wonderful and the cardigan is lovely. Your grandchildren are lucky to have you :)
    I also love the way your medallion quilt is coming on :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peppa Pig looks good, and the cardigan is lovely on your granddaughter and the cake looks fab too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the peppa pig! She looks adorable in the cardi too! Thanks for your nice comments, I can't reply because you're a no reply blogger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I had changed my settings. Sorry about that. I'll have a look.

      Delete
  5. That Peppa Pig is great! Flawless knitting. I remember how much my two adored Peppa Pig, it makes me nostalgic. And the cardigan is really beautiful, gorgeous pattern and colours. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gillian for your kind comments. Its my second Playful stripes card and I think I may be asked for it again

      Delete
  6. Isobel looks adorable in her new sweater! Hope she loves it!
    linsquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lin. She is so sweet. Neither of my daughters can knit so I like to make stuff for the younger grandchildren. as they get older they prefer sweatshirts and fleeces I think

      Delete
  7. FYI You are a no reply blogger for me too. I have sent things to you often.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Makes, the birthday girl looks very sweet in her new cardi. Isn't your Medallion quilt coming along nicely too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm really enjoying patchwork although other people seem to manage to produce so many quilts in such a short time. I'm not sure how they do it???? I spent all Saturday afternoon and a good few hours yesterday and only managed 5 blocks of this quilt and 5 X 51/2" blocks of my Hummingbird quilt. Whats the secret?

      Delete
  9. Your blocks look great. Going to be a wonderful quilt

    Love and hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gina. I'm getting behind with everything and haven't even looked at the Classic Meets Modern March block

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every one I get and try to get back to you as soon as I can.