Friday 29 August 2014

Back to my crochet; it must be the end of Summer.


I have a crochet finish, a new crochet project and some progress on my English Country Garden appliqué BOM to report this week. Amazing really, as my parents visited for the week and we tried to get out most days.

Firstly, by appliqué fuchsia block for Kerry's BOM at Pennydog Patchwork

I decided to do this block by hand and I have all but finished it. The background was meant to be improv but I just used up my scraps. Is that more or less the same thing? Anyway I added in a bit of floral background too. The various blocks were taken in different lighting situations but I swear that they are all with the same background fabrics.
The stems and leaves are turned edge appliqué and the flowers are fusible appliqué. I will be finishing the flowers with some blanket stitch in embroidery silk and also embroidering the veins on the leaves. I was a bit behind as I ran out of fusible web and had to make a trip to our local patchwork shop in Llantrisant; The Patchwork House. The lovely owner Sue is really building up a great selection of fabrics as well as running workshops.

I'm really pleased with how the blocks are looking together.


UPDATE******
I finished the fuchsia flowers with blanket stitch. I had planned to sew the veins on the leaves but after I did one I decided it looked a bit ugly. I'll be doing some fmq on the leaves at the end.



Next my crochet bag which I have been making to keep my knitting/crochet projects in. It has been very nearly finished for weeks and I just had to sew the handles and buttons on.




The pattern is "Jolly Chunky Bag" designed by Lucy at Attic24
I'm sure there can be very few people who have not heard of this fabulous blog and resource. Lucy has so many followers for a very good reason. She has a fantastic eye for colour, a way with words and is a really nice person in the flesh too. I blogged about the materials for the bag here

I'm using the bag to store my latest crochet project, "Coast Ripple Blanket" which is also by Lucy. I'm using the same yarn colours that Lucy used too.  I love the idea of sea and skies. Wool Warehouse has put the Coast collection of 15 DK Stylecraft yarn colours together as a pack with the free pattern but the pattern is also free on Lucy's blog is you want to use different colours. Lucy has a full tutorial which I found very useful. The following photo is from Lucy's blog. I think it's beautiful.


So far I've managed 3 different colour wavy stripes. I am finding the pattern easy to do in the evening watching TV now I have mastered the ripple pattern.

I have only managed to do one more block of my Summer Breeze quilt due to the visitors but I hope to crack on with that on Monday.

Next week I'm off to Lampeter to search for fabrics for two new projects. One is for a workshop (a bag for my cutting board) and I need ideas for "Green Tea and Sweet Beans".


Challenging or what? More on that next week.


I'm linking up with Whoop Whoop and Building Blocks Tuesday









and on Sunday with
Have a great weekend,

Catherine

11 comments:

  1. Hi Catherine! You had me interested with the glimpse of your wonderful crocheted bag at Sarah's Whoop Whoop party! Your appliques are just exquisite! Very beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your bag :) I've got one that just needs making up. I started, but sewed on the handles when I was tired and got one in completely the wrong place :( I need to get my act together and unpick it - a slightly scary prospect as I've used dark brown yarn to attach it to a brown row and my eyesight isn't what it used to be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great makes. Enjoy your trip to Lampeter but don't spend out as there are traders at Weston remember xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your English country garden blocks look amazing! I'm hoping to catch up on mine when the kids are back at school. I'm starting a gtsb quilt too, have you any ideas what kind if fabric you want to use? You're working on lots of fun things and that blanket looks really pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, so many utterly beautiful projects! The English country garden applique is stunning, your work is so detailed and delicate. I've only ever made a ripple cowl, but I would love to try a blanket one day. Those ripples are very addictive! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your crochet work is just as lovely as your quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your applique flowers are beautiful! the bag is gorgeous and the ripple is fab too, I would like to try crochet stitch too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've got lots of beautiful work done! I love your flower BOM blocks and your crochet bag is great. I'm looking forward to watching your Green Tea and Sweet Beans come together. It's a stunning pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful work! Thanks for linking up this week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Catherine! Just blown away by what you've done and what you plan to do! The flower blocks are beautiful, love the colours in the ripple blanket and the last quilt is something else! So gorgeous.
    Thanks for your comment and yes, it's the Autumn Show - we'll be in the vintage tent - would be lovely to meet you! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your flower blocks. What a great improv for your background.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every one I get and try to get back to you as soon as I can.