Monday 24 November 2014

Stir Up Sunday, the start of the Christmas season.

Stir up Sunday is the last Sunday before Advent and is so called because of the Collect in the Book of Common Prayer of 1549.

Stir up, we beseech thee, O Lord, the wills of thy faithful people; that they, plenteously bringing forth the fruit of good works, may of thee be plenteously rewarded; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Traditionally this was the day for the making of Christmas Pudding but I'll let you in on a secret. I marinated the fruit on Friday and steamed the pudding on Saturday as the pudding requires 8 hours steaming and it was more convenient to steam when I was not cooking Sunday lunch. I use the Delia Smith recipe from her Christmas Cookbook. I love all the spicy smells and the traditional stirring and wishing. The pudding has now cooled and been put away to mature for Christmas Day.

I've been trying to finish off a few bits and pieces. I finally finished the Christmas Stocking for Bee Hive. All the members of Bee Hive are making them and they are to be donated to the children's ward in a local hospital. The front is quilted and the back has a simple star appliqué.





I am a bit behind with my "homework" for the cutting mat bag class. I have to make 12 maple leaf blocks as a panel and have only managed 8 before running out of background fabric so I've placed an urgent order and I hope it will be delivered for Tuesday morning.



I've removed the machine tacking out of the stems and stitched them down since the photo.

Last week I had the great pleasure of attending a class in Cheadle Hulme near Manchester at Patchfinders with Lucy Brennan of Charm About You. The shop has a fantastic fabric selection and I will be visiting it next time I am in the area.
Lucy was brilliant and the day passed too quickly. She was teaching the Japanese +x quilt block. I had been a bit concerned about my fabric choices as they were quite far out of my comfort zone but I am pleased with the 6 blocks I completed. It might have been more if I had not chatted as much.
This will not be the final layout!


I will put this project on hold until the New Year as there is so much to finish for Christmas.

I've been knitting up a storm to finish some hand knits for my granddaughters. I started the Tiny Tea Leaves cardigan last week for Lexie. This pattern was written by Melissa LaBarre and is meant to be a quick knit so here's hoping. I am knitting the size 6 for her (26" chest). The yarn is Sublime extra fine merino DK in a peacock blue colour. This is the first time I have knit a garment in the round from the top down. Everything has gone well so far but I am now waiting for a set of double pointed needles to finish the sleeves. This will another first as I have not knit anything in the round before either. Still, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

The button bands look like they may need a good stretch when I block- or should I unpick and adda few stitches- not sure what to do.

Other projects to finish before Christmas:

  • Christmas Tree quilt- quilting started but lots to do.
  • Christmas napkins
  • Isobel's cardigan
  • 2 chunky hats (also in the round!)
  • Cushion covers.
Linking up to Janine's Wool on SundaysJanine is celebrating her first year of Wool on Sundays with a giveaway so pop on over and take a look.

also linking to my unfinished cardi to Celtic Thistle Stitches:


and to Ho, Ho, Ho and on we sew, November over at Rose and Dahlia with my stocking

Also linking to Lee's WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced. #wipwednesday

Have a great week and try not to stress about Christmas plans (note to self!). Happy Thanksgiving to my American friends too!

Catherine

9 comments:

  1. Great projects! I especially love those leaves! Such a beautiful colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The leaves look lovely! The cardigan looks nice and good how it is knit from top down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always you have busy fingers working on lovely projects, Catherine. That children's ward will be singing a merry, festive tune. In my mind's eye I can picture all the happy children's faces when they catch a glimpse of all the pretty stockings. Your maple blocks are looking a treat; love the colours. For all that chatter your Japanese blocks are looking great. Love, love, love the blue cardie; both the colour and the adorable pattern. Good on you for trying new things and slipping out of your comfort zone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so lucky - you got to meet Lucy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd never heard of Stir Up Sunday! I love the colours in your maple leaves and the Christmas stockings look great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are keeping yourself busy Catherine! I love your maple leaves, hope your fabric turns up in time for the next class.

    Thanks for linking up to New to Me and Ho, Ho, Ho and on We Sew too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the little cardi and the maple leaves are gorgeous - love the colours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous, gorgeous gorgeous makes!! You really have been busy, I've been very lazy and I'm hoping the M&S did a good job for me on Stir up Sunday!!!!
    Thanks so much for linking up your wonderful stocking with Ho Ho Ho and on we Sew!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful making going on in your house! The pudding sounds delicious and your quilting projects look great. Of course, I also love the cardi! Thank you for linking up with Wool on Sundays :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every one I get and try to get back to you as soon as I can.