Monday 4 May 2015

My English Country Garden.

I've been a bit behind with the blocks for Kerry's fabulous English Country Garden appliqué BOM on her blog Pennydog Patchwork so I decided to get my act together yesterday to finish the 12 blocks.
The final blocks were the dahlia and clematis. I had left the dahlia for some time as the background was a set in circle. I really should have taken photos of the method but it was fully explained in the block instructions. I was so pleased when everything worked out.
I had used the blocks to practice different appliqué methods but decided to make the last 2 blocks with fusible web. This saved time. So without further ado....



I have used PicMonkey to make a collage of the 12 blocks in order to try and work out a layout.


This is not the final layout and due to different lighting conditions the colour of the background fabrics is not always true. I chose a Lewis & Irene blender fabric called Bumbleberries for the sashing from my LQS, the Patchwork House in Llantrisant. This lovely blender comes in 20 beautiful colours to coordinate with all their fabric lines.


The blocks will be divided with cornerstones in the sashing. Check out Kerry's here. Kerry has used very dark background fabrics and sashing and her cornerstones really pop.

I hope you have all enjoyed the Bank Holiday weekend here in the UK. Mike and I had a wonderful time with two of the grandchildren, Jacob and Isobel, at the Moscow State Circus in Cardiff on Saturday. The acrobats, high wire and trapeze were fantastic and the whole show was so professional.

I should get the sashing finished this week if the weather is as bad as the forecast suggests.
Have a good week anyway whatever the weather.

Catherine

This week I am linking up to the fabulous Esther Aliu's WOW link party. Esther designs the most marvelous appliqué and is currently running the Oma's Blues appliqué BOM. There are always interesting projects to admire so please check it out if you have time.

I'm also linking to Kelly's Needle and Thread Thursday. The link is in the sidebar on the right.



12 comments:

  1. They are all lovely blocks Catherine, my favourite is the bluebell. I like your sashing fabric too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blocks are beautiful Catherine - well done. I can see that you are going to make good use of the Scan and Cut machine for future projects if they are anyhting like this

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's looking lovely! I look forward to seeing it all put together soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Catherine these are so pretty and are going to suggest a real English cottage garden whichever way you piece them!
    You've used some perfect fabrics for the flowers too : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Catherine! They're beautiful together! Don't know which one's my favourite…maybe the Daisy (my daughter's name), but they are all so lovely. It's going to look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning!! I will come back to see it finshed. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These blocks are so lovely that I think any arrangement would look great. I'll look forward to seeing this with the sashing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks really lovely, soft background really lets the flowers shine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful appliqués! They will make a gorgeous top. And I really like your choice for the sashing. This fabric is perfect for your flowers. I'm looking forward to seeing the top!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous blocks! It's going to be a beautiful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These blocks are fabulous, I love them! I have a soft spot for florals and this reminds me that I have to finish my Forget Me Not floral quilt, I always think flower blocks are so much fun and yours are so lovely

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh its smashing, so pretty.
    Oddly enough I picked up a book at the charity shop on Thursday for £2.
    Its The Magic Vine Quilt and was published in 2007 by Quilt in a Day and its spiral bound.
    the flowers are virtually the same as your patterns - only yours are nicer! lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every one I get and try to get back to you as soon as I can.