Sunday 12 July 2015

My Bear Paw quilt progress

The weather has not been too good for the last couple of days which was a great excuse to get my sewing machine out to sew and watch the tennis finals from Wimbledon. I realised I had not reported on a "quilt in two day" class I took in April with the lovely Sue Warren at Busy Bees Patchwork so I dug out the blocks and fabric and got to work.
This quilt is for Isobel. She is about to go from a cot to a junior bed in preparation for the arrival of a new baby. She is only two so I wanted something pretty and soft coloured. I chose my fabric way back from the Patchwork Basket in Newent. A soft rose coloured print from Moda (Pattern 46196, Collection for a Cause) and a Lecien floral in soft green with rose and yellow flowers.

Sue's design was for a bear paw quilt with setting blocks of a cross. I must have been on a go slow that weekend because I only managed to complete one row of the bear paws and one of the crosses! Mine is in the middle.



So today I got going and I am determined to finish the top in the next day or two.

The claw blocks have to be squared up and trimmed to 1¾", a great excuse to sit for 20 minutes and watch a few games. Federer does not seem to be at his best!


This is the progress today- I have only 2 more rows to make, one each of bear paws and crosses. I have cut all the pieces for the remaining blocks so that I'm ready to sew either tomorrow or at the Cutting Edge group meeting on Tuesday.


The soft fruit harvest continues both for me and for the local birds and other wildlife.


I spotted this little squirrel through the kitchen window. He had squeezed into the fruit cage to liberate a raspberry or two. If the weather improves tomorrow I will be picking all the ripe fruit to freeze at least a few pounds for us.

Congratulations to Serena Williams and Novak Djokovic. I really enjoyed the men's final!!!!

Novak Djokovic

Current tournament:Wimbledon (Men's Singles)
1
N. Djokovic
77
610
6
6
Finals
2
R. Federer
61
712
4
3
Jul 12, Completed
1
N. Djokovic
77
6
6
Semifinals
21
R. Gasquet
62
4
4
Jul 10, Completed
1
N. Djokovic
6
6
6
Quarterfinals
9
M. Cilic
4
4
4
Jul 8, Completed
1
N. Djokovic
66
66
6
6
7
4th Round
14
K. Anderson
78
78
1
4
5
Jul 6, Completed


Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Catherine 

I'll be linking this post to a few of the link parties in the right hand column.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, it is beautiful! I love your fabric choices.

    We got nothing more than a dozen or so peaches from our tree this year. The squirrels and birds got more. It's a fairly young tree, so hasn't put out an abundance, so we don't like to share! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bear paw blocks are looking good and lovely fabric. Here in London we watced the tennis and very good finals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the bear paw and cross design. Your quilt top is looking lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have made a lot of progress! I'm sure Isobel will love her quilt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty quilt, you've made a lot of progress! I started one a few years back - I've made three small blocks but I don't know if wilI be brave enough to put it on our bed if I ever finish it - because our cat sleeps there too, and obviously it's tricky cleaning patchwork. Barbara xx





    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the setting of the bear claw block here!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every one I get and try to get back to you as soon as I can.